BCLSs liaise with municipalities, engineers, architects, planning and legal professionals on a regular basis, providing spatial, boundary, and title information as required for land use, development and environmental protection. Through this professional experience, the BCLS has a broad understanding of the development process. BC Land Surveyors are proud of their profession, their responsibility to the public, and see the benefit in working proactively with local regulatory authorities.
- The BCLS is an expert on all statutory requirements for land development. Their knowledge enables them to provide support to the Advisory Planning Commission, Approving Officer, Council, or staff, and in balancing development requirements with the public interest.
- BCLSs have experience dealing with the Community Charter and some of the changes which resulted, specifically as they pertain to roads, and they also have a working knowledge of road dedication, gazette notices, and the steps required to close roads.
- BCLSs have a thorough understanding of BC’s land title system and land title registration procedures.
- A BCLS can provide advice on datum, coordinate systems and electronic formatting requirements of plans to facilitate incorporation of the records into the municipal GIS. This advice ensures that the plans result in a value-added service for municipalities.
- Air Space parcels can be a daunting prospect, especially when they are being explored for the first time in municipalities. Several BCLSs in the province are well-versed in this form of parcel creation and can provide examples and help answer questions such as: Who is involved and what are their roles? What design considerations should be made? What agreements should be put in place?
- A BCLS is required for preparation of all legal surveys.
- A BCLS is exclusively responsible to determine the location of property boundaries, lot corners, the limits of public roads, and the location of any structure or feature with respect to lot boundaries.
- Your local BCLS would be happy to provide a presentation on any of the above topics.