Other Post-Secondary Programs

Student or graduate of a geomatics engineering technology program or other post-secondary education program in Canada not accredited by the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS)

If you are a student in a geomatics engineering technology program and considering a career as a BC land surveyor, you should become a Survey Student with the Association of BC Land Surveyors. There is no cost, and you will receive Association communications and information about educational seminars. Survey Students are encouraged to attend the Association’s Annual General Meeting and regional meetings.

Apply to become a Survey Student with the Association.

Graduates of recognized two-year geomatics engineering technology diploma programs and other programs may obtain a CBEPS Certificate of Completion following successful completion of CBEPS examinations. Based on courses completed, CBEPS may exempt graduates from some of the CBEPS examinations. A list of technical institutes and specific exemptions are identified on the CBEPS website.

Having obtained a Certificate of Completion, you may register with the Association as a Land Surveyor in Training and enter into a term of articles under a BC Land Surveyor for not less than 12 months and not more than 32 months. The term of articles is a training period performing field and office work in British Columbia. During and after the term of articles, Land Surveyors in Training:

  • regularly report their land surveying experience to the Association;
  • complete professional examinations dealing with practical surveying and statutes and regulations affecting the practice of land surveying in British Columbia;
  • submit three project reports; and
  • attend a professional assessment interview before the Board of Management of the Association.

Successful completion of the professional assessment interview is the final step toward receiving a commission as a BC Land Surveyor.

If you have obtained a CBEPS Certificate of Completion, apply to become a Land Surveyor in Training in British Columbia.

For information on articling, examinations, project reports, and the professional assessment interview, please see the Land Surveyor in Training Handbook.