CBEPS Accredited Programs

Student or graduate of a Geomatics Degree program accredited by the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS)

The degree programs at the University of Calgary and the University of New Brunswick are accredited by the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors. If you are a student at one of these programs and considering a career as a BC land surveyor, you should register as a Survey Student with the Association of BC Land Surveyors. There is no cost, and you will receive Association communications and information about educational seminars. Survey Students are encouraged to attend the Association’s Annual General Meeting and regional meetings.

Apply to become a Survey Student with the Association.

To become a Land Surveyor in Training and ultimately a BC Land Surveyor, you must obtain a Certificate of Completion from the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS). The CBEPS Certificate of Completion is proof of academic qualification in land surveying, which may be obtained upon graduation from the aforementioned degree programs provided cadastral surveying elective courses are taken. Detailed information is available on the CBEPS website.

Having obtained a Certificate of Completion, you may register with the Association as a Land Surveyor in Training and enter into a term of articles under a BC Land Surveyor for not less than 12 months and not more than 32 months. The term of articles is a training period performing field and office work in British Columbia. During and after the term of articles, Land Surveyors in Training:

  • regularly report their land surveying experience to the Association;
  • complete professional examinations dealing with practical surveying and statutes and regulations affecting the practice of land surveying in British Columbia;
  • submit three project reports; and
  • attend a professional assessment interview before the Board of Management of the Association.

Successful completion of the professional assessment interview is the final step toward receiving a commission as a BC Land Surveyor.

If you have obtained a CBEPS Certificate of Completion, apply to become a Land Surveyor in Training in British Columbia.

For information on articling, examinations, project reports, and the professional assessment interview, please see the Land Surveyor in Training Handbook.